Kiwis Need Your Help!
If you still have not heard the news, on February 22nd the city of Christchurch in New Zealand was struck by a devastating 6.3 magnitude earthquake.
Although a quake of 7.1 magnitude had already shaken the city last September, Tuesday’s quake was close to the city centre, and happened during the busy lunch hour rather than in the middle of the night.
As of today (25/02/2011), there are 103 confirmed dead, and 228 people are still missing or unaccounted for. The death toll is expected to rise.
The New Zealand Government has set up a website with essential information for victims of the earthquake, including health services, support, and important contact numbers:
So What Can You Do?
The New Zealand Red Cross is taking donations, and have launched the ‘New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake Appeal’. You can donate by
– calling 0900 73327 to make an automatic $20 donation
– texting a message of hope to 4419 to donate $3 (text works with all mobile network providers in NZ)
– Online at www.redcross.org.nz/donate
– By cheque to: New Zealand Red Cross 2011 Earthquake Appeal, Freepost 232690, PO Box 12140, Thorndon, Wellington 6144
– By Direct Credit Transfer to our Special Appeal Bank Account: Kiwibank 38-9009-0759479-00 and the account name is RED CROSS.
– By Direct Credit Transfer to our Special Appeals Bank Account: ASB 12-3192-0015998-02
– At any branch of PostShop Kiwibank, ASB, BNZ and ANZ bank
The Salvation Army is accepting monetary donations and offers of volunteers To volunteer call 04 384 5649
Every Bit Counts.
Do you have any tinned goods, blankets, clothing, toys, matches, candles, or bottled water that you can send to Christchurch? Many organizations are also collecting these kinds of supplies.
Daniel Wylie has set up a site where you can list any available accommodation for those who have been made homeless by the quake, or simply need a break to get out of the city. Find a Room.
The New Zealand Civil Defence has also set up a line for people to call if they want to offer accommodation to those in need: 0800 435 700.
You can participate in The Great Sunday Bake Off – place some home-baked goods in an ice cream container and drop these off at Civic Square and Outside Vodafone on Lambton Quay between 7am and 9am. Canned food and toys will also be accepted. The items will be driven down to Christchurch on Monday.
On Sunday February 27th Café L’affare will be giving all proceeds from their College St cafe directly to the New Zealand Red Cross.
And last, but certainly not least if you look at the sidebar of this blog to the right, you will see a ‘Chip In’ widget. All funds raised are going to the Christchurch SPCA to help animals who have been lost or are now homeless due to the earthquake.